Monday, May 26, 2008

Some kind of poison.

"um, hello, Legs? um? do horses get hernia?!?"

0523082359a
It started like this. This is the underside of his body, between his back legs. It is the area right in front of his sheath. His Belly-button.

Dusty has something going on here- I have no idea, and since it just SHOWED up on Thurs., and the fact that if you call the vet for mundane things (on the beginning of a holiday weekend especially)he gets a little annoyed.

I DUNNO?! ARE SUDDENLY APPEARING LUMPS ON YOUR HORSE THAT LOOK LIKE HERNIA mundane things or not? Really, I dunno.

Legs came to look at it and said it wasn't hernia. She could not push it back into the body and could not feel any holes. That made me feel a lot better. I was you know, being "green"and still nervous and made an honest effort to see if it would go back in. Nope. It felt like a BOOB. Jiggly. But not like link sausages in a plastic like bag of water.

0522081528a
The next day.

He WAS swarmed with horseflies out in the pasture as I turned him out a night before...and that huge bite in the photo of the post below? well, it swelled up pretty good and the disappeared. My first thought was that whatever his body is doing to fight the sting (?) he got, it has traveled down to the lowest part. But it is growing...toward his sheath.

0522081527a

I didn't notice a drastic difference today but it's still there and bigger than in this pic. Its getting harder also. It's the size of my whole hand. Temp is normal - 2 days in a row. His disposition normal. I'm not riding him.

I caught the vet during his emergency calling hours yesterday...
"Is your horse eating, pooping, peeing, drinking, and standing up?"
"oh yes. all of those things." I said.
"Ok. Its not a matter of life or death. I can come out there but I'm out in Pensacola Beach...and you know there's an emergency charge...out of town...my staff..."

I understood that he was out having a good time with his friends and family, it is a holiday weekend and all. I will have him come out tomorrow morning, hopefully.

It is the poison from the sting he got working its way through his body. It HAS to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails