Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Let's look at personal space while traveling.

I am currently sitting in the Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. I'm waiting for my plane to Pensacola.

I'm sitting on the floor, any closer to the window and I would be activly loading snacks and beverages onto the airplane with LSG Sky Chefs. My legs are falling asleep. Not because I have the elusive restless leg syndrome, but because the older grey haired woman won't move over one seat so that I can utilize the power cord that is plugged into the wall and ultimately my mother's laptop which I brought with me to help in tandem with my cellphone to find a place to live. After all, I have to be in Pensacola in two weeks.

If I am anything, I am resourceful. I used the open-end buddy pass from my last flight and then got another one way for thirty bucks. I have a car waiting for me in Florida, an UPGRADED auto, because I tore the hertz coupon out of the Air Tran magazine. I wondered if anyone ever used those...

When I am traveling, I try to pay attention to my personal space and if/when it is violating someone else’s. It's really annoying sometimes that when people are traveling how much they don't think how up in everyone's space they are. For example, the woman that won't move over for me? well, I just glanced over and her shit is actually taking up three seats- yep, THREE seats. She's watching one of those little personal hand held televisions. How West Virginia... I mean in the “How many cars and worshing machines are in YOUR yard?” way, not the whole Uncle-Daddy Aunt Mommy way.

My trip so far: I boarded the airplane in Akron, finding my aisle seat with no problem. I got settled and placed my bag completely under the seat in front of me where a balding man looking like he was a business traveler sleepily placed his head in between the two seats. Just then a woman of over a few extra hundred pounds wobbled towards my aisle.

I have to tell you, if you want a really irritated slub, place me on a plane with a screaming baby or small child, but if you want to see the trace of discrimination that I possess in my soul, then seat a three-hundred plus pound woman next to me on an airplane. I'm not talking about a person so big that the shirt HAS to be made of queen size sheets. I'm not exaggerating. Do you know that they offer seatbelt expanders for overweight persons? Yup, they do. This woman had to extend hers ALL THE WAY and it was still tight. And beside that, its given out on this secret language tip: there are no words exchanged, the flight attendant just quietly hands the expander to the traveler and that's it.

If the question is: “should overweight persons have to purchase an extra seat on an airplane?” the answer is YES.

Really, people it’s all in fairness. For them and for US. It's a total compromise. This woman was all up in my space even from across the aisle. That’s just not enough room for all that cotton and polyester. I’m sorry. Don’t hate me. I’m not knocking on overweight people, or chubby people, big boned, thick or whatever you want to call them people. I spent my elementary school and beginning high-school years as THE chubby girl in the class. I got all the ridicule a person can handle in a lifetime because I liked boys, and when the rest of the boys caught word of my crush, they would make fun of that person. And to further defend myself, I LOVE curvy models movement. LOVE IT. DOVE SOAP'S new campaign, all for it!

I am talking about if the ass is the width of TWO or more airplane seats wide... then go-ahead and purchase the room for your left ass cheek. Don't they want to be comfortable? I guess they didn't think about seatbelt expanders on an airplane when sitting your fat ass in front of the television eating twelve Twinkies. I wonder if anyone in an airline industry corporate meeting ever said "Maybe we can offer a "one-butt-cheek"extra charge?"

I won't ever stare at people with disabilities. I won't poke fun or laugh at any kind of disabled person. I have the utmost respect for anyone that faces those kind of challenges. I just can't understand how a person treats their body like that. And I'm not buying that every massively obese person has a glandular problem. Sorry. Like Mikal the Russian exchange kid says "America. Too MANY choices. TOO MUCH."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails